Full time (40 Hours)
Schedule: Mon–Fri, 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.; flexible depending on Retreat Center events
Come join our growing team! The Himalayan Institute’s offerings are rapidly growing, and how we engage and communicate with our community is critical to the success of our mission. The Creative Services team is looking for an energetic, motivated individual who is interested in learning about professional web development in a small non-profit organization. The ideal team member is someone who is highly organized and detail-oriented with proven communication skills, the ability to multitask and be flexible, and an interest in and aptitude for learning.
This position is primarily responsible for learning about and participating in the day-to-day administration of HimalayanInstitute.org and related web services to ensure smooth, continuous functioning of regular business operations and prompt, skillful attendance to requests from both internal and external customers. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Manage customer support tickets, following up by email or phone as required
- Manage common memberships requests such as upgrades, downgrades, password resets, and email list subscription
- Create and publish calendar events in WordPress Admin based on requests submitted by Mission Programs and Retreat Center teams
- Update or build static web pages to support the ongoing presentation and marketing of HI’s various departments and services
- Apply regular website changes such as refreshed copy, seasonal images, featured programs & presenters, new job listings, and slideshow images & captions
- Learn with our experienced web developers to advance your development and career growth potential
- Assist the team in digital marketing campaigns as necessary, utilizing your data organization skills
- Additional larger projects depending on skill and interest
- Organized and detail oriented
- Good written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Comfortable communicating by phone, email, and in person
- Ability and desire to work in a dynamic and fast-paced collaborative environment
- Friendly and professional demeanor
- Able to manage time wisely, meet deadlines, and prioritize multiple important tasks at once
*If you don’t feel like you exactly meet each one of these specific criteria, but you believe in what we do, please apply anyway!
- Experience using a WordPress site or other WYSWYG blogging platform
- Basic image manipulation skills (resizing, cropping, resampling)
Nice to Have:
- Customer service experience
- Experience with PHP or other server-side programming languages
- Experience collaborating using a version control system, preferably Git
- Image manipulation and/or visual layout using Sketch or Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with common Internet services such as Shopify, Stripe, MailChimp, and Freshdesk
Interested in working with us? Great! Please start by filling out the application form below (HR needs it), then to help us get to know you, please email us at [email protected] with answers* to the following questions:
- What’s the URL of your website? If you don’t have one, why not?
- What’s your web/coding history? When did you start, and what have you done between then and now?
- What do you want to do with the rest of your life, and how is Himalayan Institute a step toward your long-term goals?
*No need for a full cover letter—an informal email will do just fine.
All Residential Positions Include the Following:
- A minimum commitment of six months unless otherwise stated
- Benefits of the Himalayan Institute Residential Program, including room and board
- Access to seminars, yoga classes, and many other opportunities to study with exceptionally experienced teachers
- Training and support for developing skills in your respective position
Join Our Team!
The Himalayan Institute is home to residents from all over the country and the world. Our community is held together by dedicated students of life who value collective responsibility and respect for all. We are looking for more than employees—for people wanting to join our community and work toward a common goal. You will be a part of our community living environment, which functions on mutual respect and pride in our organizational mission.
If you think you would be a good fit for the Himalayan Institute and that we would be a good fit for you, apply today!