When you enroll in the Himalayan Institute’s 500-hour teacher training course, you don’t just train to become a teacher—you get the opportunity to participate in one of the best teacher training programs in the nation, and learn from some of the most experienced yoga teachers alive today. Through their guidance, you will acquire the wisdom and knowledge to confidently interpret and convey the deeper meaning of yoga.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program offers yoga teachers from all traditions and backgrounds the opportunity to advance their studies in a truly impactful way. Our teachings draw from the source of yoga, based in guidance passed down by Swami Rama—a true yogic master who founded the Himalayan Institute—and rooted in yogic scriptures.
The Himalayan Institute 500-hour teacher training course includes in-depth application of:
- Advanced studies in teaching methods
- Sequencing strategies
- Verbal and hands-on assists
- Practical application of subtle body anatomy in asana teaching
You will also explore advanced applications of yoga for mental and physical well-being, acquire an authentic understanding of the eight limbs of yoga through an in depth study of essential yogic texts, and attain a first-hand experience of ancient techniques in pranayama (breathing techniques), pratyahara (sense withdrawal), and meditation.
Whether you wish to develop your skills for teaching yoga classes, or broaden your personal application of yoga through an advanced teacher training course, our 500-hour program is an excellent way to become proficient in concepts initially touched upon in 200-hour yoga teacher training courses.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program consists of 3 modules that are each 10 days long. You have the freedom to take the modules in any order you choose, and you can take up to three years to complete them. This immersive format gives you the opportunity to step away from the responsibilities and demands of daily life, allowing you to focus completely on deepening your personal practice and developing your skills as a yoga teacher in a spiritually supportive environment. You will connect with other teachers from all over the world, making life-long friends and new networking opportunities in the process.
This 500-hour yoga teacher training course is certified through Yoga Alliance.
The Art of Teaching Yoga for Health and Balance: Deeper Physical and Psychological Strategies
The Fall segment of our 500 hour yoga teacher training course will focus on developing techniques that help you support students with common structural and physiological problems in the classroom. This module will also teach you to use yoga and ayurveda to harness prana and counteract the harmful effects of chronic stress, mental degeneration, physical discomfort, and emotional imbalances. As a practitioner, you will develop personal strategies and practices for understanding yourself and for handling life’s ups and downs with greater ease.
This segment of our teacher training course will teach you to:
- Understand prana as a powerful healing force, and as a pillar that supports the body and the mind
- Use the practice of asana to become aware of habits and imbalances in the body and to establish new, helpful patterns of pranic flow
- Deepen your understanding of the nervous system and how chronic stress sets the stage for disease and imbalance
- Learn how yoga psychology and philosophy can support mental and emotional health
- Develop a set of practical strategies and practices for coping with pain and suffering
- Become more familiar with common structural and physiological problems and understand how the holistic science of yoga can help
- Discover how a basic understanding of ayurveda can support the practices of yoga by enhancing overall vitality and balance
Sample Daily Schedule:
- 6:30-8:00 a.m. Hatha Yoga Class
- 8:00-8:30 a.m. Breakfast
- 9:00 or 9:30-12:30 p.m. Morning Session
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. Lunch
- 2:30-5:00 p.m. Afternoon Session
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. Dinner
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. Evening Session
- One free evening is scheduled during the training. Schedule is subject to change.
Accommodations are not included in the $1099 tuition price. Please contact our reservations department at (800) 822-4547, option 2, for pricing information on accommodations. Note that accommodations will need to begin on October 18, as the program begins on October 19 at 6:30 a.m
Questions about the program? Please email us at [email protected]