Our Shared Responsibilities in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic
The Himalayan Institute holds the wellbeing and safety of our guests, staff, and community as our top most priority. We invite you to come and enjoy our vibrant, friendly environment with the understanding that we all have a shared responsibility to follow best practices at the Institute and in our personal lives, for everyone’s health and peace of mind.
Because tolerance for COVID-19 has improved, but infection rates are unpredictable, we have altered our policies in the last few months:
- As of April 27th, masks are optional on our campus, except for our PureRejuv Wellness Center where they are still required
- As of July 14th, we are open to all people, with or without COVID-19 vaccination.
- Because COVID-19 can be a serious illness, and it is most easily transferred when groups gather indoors, we are now asking that all retreat guests simply do an at-home COVID-19 test before they arrive. (see details below)
We hope these policies feel welcoming to all, while still providing some reassurance that a visit here will be safe and enjoyable.
Our Promise to You. We will:
- Require guests and visitors to have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours prior to arrival. (see below)
- Require Wellness Check questions for all staff and guests on campus. (see below)
- Adhere to COVID-19 best practice protocols based on CDC and State and Federal government guidelines.
- Maintain thorough cleaning and ventilation throughout our buildings.
- Provide hand sanitizer stations.
- Strive to provide you with what you need to make your experience with us outstanding.
Your Promise to Us. You will:
- Follow our guidance on keeping our campus safe and healthy for all.
- Provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of arrival. (website below)
- Incorporate best practices for a COVID-19 safer lifestyle and travel, at least for the 7 days before you visit the Institute. (see below)
- Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer as needed.
- Choose another time to visit the Institute if you:
- are ill
- have been exposed in the last 7 days to anyone with COVID-19.
- prove positive for COVID-19 within 72 hours prior to your arrival.
- have been exposed to an area with high COVID-19 cases where you are not able to maintain COVID-19 safe practices.
- are not able or willing to abide by our protocols.
COVID-19 Negative Test Requirements:
- We are no longer requiring vaccination to visit the Himalayan Institute. However, proof of a negative COVID-19 test is required within 72 hours prior to your arrival. We recommend at-home antigen testing; take a picture of your result and send it to email: [email protected]
At-home antigen tests are now widely available, and free from the government; check this website to get free tests. You can also get an RT-PCR test at a pharmacy or laboratory; these have variable turnaround times (hours to days).
Follow these links for more information from the CDC and WHO on acceptable test types.
- If you are unable to provide a negative COVID-19 test result, please choose another time to visit the Himalayan Institute.
- We will ask you these COVID-19 related wellness questions on arrival. If you answer ‘yes’ to any of them, you will need to choose another time to visit.
- Do you have any COVID-19 symptoms not related to a pre-existing condition?
- Have you been exposed to COVID-19 in the last 7 days?
Best Practices for a COVID-19 safer Lifestyle
Please incorporate best practices for a COVID-19 safer lifestyle and travel, at least for the 7 days before you visit the Institute. If you are not able to follow these COVID-safer guidelines, please choose another time to come.
- Avoid crowded, poorly ventilated indoor gatherings where COVID-19 has a greater chance of spreading.
- Wear a mask when using public transportation like planes, trains and buses.
- Monitor yourself and people you live with for COVID-19 symptoms, and test if you have symptoms.
International Travel Guests
All guests, including international guests, are now welcome with proof of a negative COVID-19 test 72 hours prior to your arrival.
General Information for Guests
- The Himalayan Institute community adheres to COVID-19 best practices protocols based on CDC and State and Federal government guidelines.
- Our campus community is over 90% vaccinated.
- Hand washing/hand sanitizing is required before entering the dining hall buffet line.
- Our COVID-19 policies may change as the situation changes and new information becomes available.
- Staff and guests agree to use COVID-19 safety strategies when traveling. Check those out here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/travel-during-covid19.html
- Guests agree to notify our Guest Services desk if they become ill while staying on campus so we can assist you.
- We are prepared to quarantine and/or isolate guests and staff who test positive.
- If you are ill, or have been exposed to COVID-19, stay home.
If You Get Sick While Staying at the Himalayan Institute:
- If you have an emergency, call 911.
- Contact our Guest Services team at the front desk or call 570-253-5551 #1 and let them know. After hours call 973-283-4100 answering service.
- Isolate yourself.
- Contact your healthcare practitioner or local urgent care provider, and follow their guidance.
- Have a plan in place to get home as soon as possible.
COVID-19 Waiver of Liability:
The Himalayan Institute has in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. However, COVID-19 is contagious, and traveling outside your home and gathering with others has risks. We cannot guarantee that you will not become infected. The waiver agreement found here needs to be understood and signed by our guests before they come to our campus.
Greg Capitolo, Mission Programs Director
Brian Fulp, Retreat Center Director