When you enroll in the Himalayan Institute’s 500-hour teacher training course, you don’t just train to become a teacher—you get the opportunity to participate in one of the best teacher training programs in the nation, and learn from some of the most experienced yoga teachers alive today. Through their guidance, you will acquire the wisdom and knowledge to confidently interpret and convey the deeper meaning of yoga.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program offers yoga teachers from all traditions and backgrounds the opportunity to advance their studies in a truly impactful way. Our teachings draw from the source of yoga, based in guidance passed down by Swami Rama—a true yogic master who founded the Himalayan Institute—and rooted in yogic scriptures.
The Himalayan Institute 500-hour teacher training course includes in-depth application of:
- Advanced studies in teaching methods
- Sequencing strategies
- Verbal and hands-on assists
- Practical application of subtle body anatomy in asana teaching
You will also explore advanced applications of yoga for mental and physical well-being, acquire an authentic understanding of the eight limbs of yoga through an in depth study of essential yogic texts, and attain a first-hand experience of ancient techniques in pranayama (breathing techniques), pratyahara (sense withdrawal), and meditation.
Whether you wish to develop your skills for teaching yoga classes, or broaden your personal application of yoga through an advanced teacher training course, our 500-hour program is an excellent way to become proficient in concepts initially touched upon in 200-hour yoga teacher training courses.
Our 500-hour yoga teacher training program consists of 3 modules that are each 10 days long. You have the freedom to take the modules in any order you choose, and you can take up to three years to complete them. This immersive format gives you the opportunity to step away from the responsibilities and demands of daily life, allowing you to focus completely on deepening your personal practice and developing your skills as a yoga teacher in a spiritually supportive environment. You will connect with other teachers from all over the world, making life-long friends and new networking opportunities in the process.
This 500-hour yoga teacher training course is certified through Yoga Alliance.
Awakening the Subtle Body: Chakras, Pranayama, and Sacred Yogic Texts
The Summer Segment of our 500-hour yoga teacher training program is more inward and reflective. You will dive deeply into a personal study of subtle body anatomy, working with the concepts of chakras and prana vayus in a practical and grounded way. You will learn how to apply this experiential knowledge to your own practice and teaching, and expand your capacity to develop intelligent and energetically balanced class sequences. Learning to sequence energetically will help your students cultivate the ability to sustain an inner focus that serves as a foundation for meditation. During this segment, we will also look at the Bhagavad Gita and learn how the ancient dialogue between Arjuna and Krishna can give us insight into the battlefield of life.
In this segment of our teacher training course, you will:
- Refine your understanding of chakras as doorways to pure consciousness, and integrate this knowledge into the practice of asana with a chakra focus
- Develop or deepen your personal practice of pranayama, and learn how to offer these potent practices to students in a balanced and practical way
- Learn more about the five prana vayus in relation to breathing, prana, and pranayama
- Refine your skills of effective and powerful class sequencing
- Participate in an in-depth study of the Bhagavad Gita as a foundation for understanding the four paths of yoga, dharma, and the wheel of karma
- Practice time tested yogic meditation techniques to develop or deepen your personal meditation practice, and teach meditation fundamentals to your students
- Enhance your credibility as a yoga teacher by skillfully incorporating Sanskrit into your teaching, and learn a set of traditional Sanskrit prayers and chants
Sample Daily Schedule:
- 6:30-8:00 a.m. Hatha Yoga Class
- 8:00-8:30 a.m. Breakfast
- 9:00 or 9:30-12:30 p.m. Morning Session
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. Lunch
- 2:30-5:00 p.m. Afternoon Session
- 6:00-7:00 p.m. Dinner
- 7:00-9:00 p.m. Evening Session
- One free evening is scheduled during the training. Schedule is subject to change.
Accommodations are not included in the $1099 tuition price. Please contact our reservations department at (800) 822-4547, option 2, for pricing information on accommodations. Note that accommodations will need to begin on August 15, as the program begins on August 16 at 6:30 a.m
Questions about the program? Please email us at [email protected]